Aging really is inevitable. As someone who'd like to get rid of those wrinkles, fountain of youth has been always on a chase. Wanted to look younger than your age? Let's talk about botox.
Botulinum toxin came from a microbe called Clostridium botulinum, the same bacterium that causes a type of food poisoning - botulism.1 Widely known this modern day as "Botox", now it is commonly used and found in aesthetic industry for its cosmetic effect. With its promise of delivering timeless beauty, many sought botox for good riddance of wrinkles.
The toxin's mechanism of action involves blocking of nerve signals that makes a muscle contract. Reduced appearance of facial creases are expected as the injected muscles begin to soften and relax. Apart from its cosmetic uses, botox has much more to offer! It treats numerous medical conditions such as chronic migraine, muscle spasms, overactive bladder, drooling, excessive underarm sweating, and some eye disorders.2
Before the procedure, it is best to let the physician know if you're pregnant or breastfeeding. Medication history, current health conditions, and allergies should also be taken into consideration. Taking of blood thinners, anti-inflammatory medications, and alcohol intake might as well be stopped a few days prior to the treatment to prevent bruising.3
Treatment with botulinum toxin typically happens like a "breaktime procedure". No downtime is required and you can go back to work or usual routine the soonest. In one sitting, you may receive number of injections depending on the size of the area and condition to be treated. The doctor may also opt to use local anesthetics to help reduce discomfort.4
Minimal side effects may occur but generally goes away in a day or two.
• Redness, bruising, swelling, pain on injection site
• Flu-like symptoms
• Dizziness, headache
• Eye dryness, eyelid drooping
When to Call the Doctor?
• Serious allergic reaction
• Vision problems
• Difficulty in breathing
• Trouble speaking or swallowing
• Muscle weakness
• Difficulty in urinating or loss of bladder control
Avoid strenuous activity and do not massage, rub, or put any pressure on the treated area for about 24 hours after the procedure. This is important to help prevent bruising and spreading the toxin to unnecessary parts of the body.
Full results can be expected in just a few days and its effect may last for 3 to 6 months. The area of concern may be treated again after its effects wear-off.